Each mage travels, at his Awakening, to the base of one of the Five Watchtowers. The Diamond Orders teach that the Watchtowers were constructed by the Oracles after the shattering of the Celestial Ladder and the separation of the Fallen World from the Supernal Realms, and that each is a means by which magic is brought into the world. In essence, the Awakened soul is attuned to a Watchtower, and the mage may overlay the laws of the Supernal Realms over those of the Fallen World. This, called "Drawing Down the Watchtower," is the core of Awakened magic.
The Paths are:
- The Acanthus, called Enchanters, who Awaken to the Watchtower of the Lunargent Thorn, in the Realm of Arcadia.
- The Mastigos, called Warlocks, who Awaken to the Watchtower of the Iron Gauntlet, in the Realm of Pandemonium.
- The Moros, called Necromancers, who Awaken to the Watchtower of the Lead Coin, in the Realm of Stygia.
- The Obrimos, called Theurges, who Awaken to the Watchtower of the Golden Key, in the Realms of the Aether.
- The Thyrsus, called Shamans, who Awaken to the Watchtower of the Stone Book, in the Realms of the Primal Wild.