House Ulbrinter has always been one of Waterdeep's trading ship powers, particularly given their reputation as fine shipwrights. They also have a reputation as possessing a degree of wanderlust, a fact that has negatively impacted the House's population, with losses and broken lineages over the years. This was made very apparent with the recent death of Lord Arthagast at the hands of the Cult of the Dragon: without a declared heir, and with lines of inheritance that not even Falconfree can seem to suss out, the balance of power in House Ulbrinter remains in the hands of Arthagast's widow, the sun elf Remallia Haventree.
Members of the Family
|Lady Remallia Haventree|
Consort, unofficial head of house (Rank 2) • 215 years
Consort to the late Lord Arthagast, Remallia (Remi to her friends) has stepped into the power vacuum left by his death to keep the House's tiller on course while the Heralds, the Lords, and whoever else must do so figures out what to do from there. The rest of the House isn't sure of what to make of her – Arthagast loved her dearly, and she has done well by the House. Remallia is only casually attached to Waterdeep's social set, with plenty of her own concerns to tend to. She has made it very clear that she will step down entirely once the Lords have determined who the new head-of-house is. (Her half-elven children, Arthius in Silverymoon, and Serenore in the Moonshaes, have already declined primogeniture.)
Cousin of the late patriarch (Rank 2) • 45 years
The staid guildsman of the Order of Master Shipwrights who is also the head of the Ulbrinter shipyards, Dolar was long-term friends with Arthagast, who he looked up to from childhood. For all his love, Dolar is very wroth with Arthagast for not putting his affairs in order, and though he doesn't dislike Remallia, he considers her an outsider who ought to hand over the reins soonest.
Dolar's consort (Rank 2) • 41 years
Where Dolar is a builder of ships, his husband Alger is a designer of them. His sleek ship lines are very distinctive, and lend that extra whiff of speed that a good merchantman requires. Alger likes to spend most of his time with Ybrula out on the town, shopping and seeing the sights, though when inspiration strikes, he has been known to dash home in a carriage to record an idea or image before it flees him.
Dolar's firstborn daughter (Rank 1) • 19 years
Every inch the daughter doting on her dear pappas, Ybrula's Coming Out two years ago was an unmitigated success. It was also the first Coming Out overseen by the new Open Lord Laeral, whom Ybrula is utterly enamored with (so much so that she has used alchemical dye to silver a streak of her own dark brown hair). She will be glad when all these decisions are made and done, as they clearly cause her pappas a great deal of stress for no good reason.
- Irther Ulbrinter: Cousin of the late patriarch (Renown 7) • 38 years. One of the three cousins vying for the role of head-of-house, Irther is a long-time sailor and ship captain. He has had to recently step up and take up command of the Ulbrinter fleets when Arthagast died, and he seems stressed and exhausted all the time these days.
- Velinna Ulbrinter: Irther's consort (Renown 4) • 34 years. Vicious and grasping, it is Velinna who fights for Irther's shot at the House's reins, far more than he himself does. Though some members of the House dislike her for her preference to do a great deal of merrymaking in the social scene and festhalls while Irther is away at sea, the two do clearly have a strong connection. Her family's opinions aside, Velinna has a great many friends among the other nobles, many of whom constantly reassure her that she would be an amazing consort for the House.
- Jhuele Ulbrinter: Cousin of the late patriarch (Renown 6) • 31 years. The third candidate being examined by the Lords and Heralds, Jhuele is a driven woman. Though she has always done her part, recent days have seen her redoubling her efforts on behalf of the House, recognizing that her modest mercantile achievements fail to measure up to the fleet leadership of Irther or Dolar's long dedication to building the House's ships. As it stands now, her life is a flurry of new contracts and reaching out for new alliances. She is eager to prove that she would be good for the role she is being considered for. Jhuele is good friends with her cousin Serenore, and misses her terribly; of the three candidates, she is on the best terms with Remallia.
- Resources Limit: If necessary, House Ulbrinter could probably generate about 42,000 gp in liquid coin and valuables within a month.
Ulbrinter House (Villa)
Delzorin Street, North Ward
The wall around Ulbrinter House is a simple structure: eight-foot tall sections of mortared fieldstone alternating with wrought iron bars allow passerby a glimpse of the cultivate gardens and splendid architecture that makes up the noble compound.
- Ulbrinter House: The two-story tall main house is vast and sprawling, with several of its street-facing corners boasting squared off towers an additional story in height, each with conical turret-tops. The house boasts ample living space for members of the house even at its largest; currently, the southeastern wing of the house is shuttered, as they have no need of the extra room therein.
- House of Flags: Three stories in height, with a large, round cone-turret-topped tower that rises another two stories, the House of Flags is mostly a structure for entertaining both friends and business associates. The bottom two floors of the large garden tower are almost all-glass, forming a large round ballroom with an uninterrupted sight of the gardens during gatherings. The rest of the structure has salons, offices, dining chambers and the like, with the topmost floor providing space for guest suites. The third story of the tower is a flag gallery, where a flag from each nation an Ulbrinter ship has visited is hung from the walls, with the rest of the room decorated sumptuously to entertain the most noble of guests. The top two tiers of the tower are a lavish set of living chambers currently unassigned to anyone.
- Garden House: The garden house is two stories in height, and finely made even if it lacks the opulence and understated fineness of the rest of the compound. The walls that face the street have their own doors, to individual apartments intended for members of the House who prefer their own accommodations. The rest of the structure is living space for servants of the household.
Known Faction Perks
Scions and agents of House Ulbrinter in good standing might receive the following benefits:
- Living Quarters: Renown 1+. Those in good standing with the House are given quarters within the House's Waterdhavian villa appropriate to their role in the House.
- Living Expenses/Salaries: Renown 1+. Those in good standing with the House also receive a stipend of 1gp plus 5sp per day per point of Rank. This is not actual cash, but simply familial credit towards payment of Lifestyle costs. This stacks with the same kind of familial credit received from the Waterdhavian Noble Background (see Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide).
- Business Opportunities: Renown 3+. Lynchpins to the House's operations receive access to a variety of business opportunities within the House's money-making endeavors. This is handled as "Running a Business" in downtime months. This does not incur a business expense, but if too many of the character rolls results that end in a loss of money, he can and will find his Rank in the House reduced.
- Heir or Consort (Title): Renown 3+. The holder of one of the legal titles Heir of House and Consort of House, as recorded with the city of Waterdeep, is entitled to an additional 2gp per day in familial credit, per the "Living Expenses/Salaries" entry above. The heir is also accorded certain privileges within the legal system of Waterdeep, including the ability to speak on behalf of his House in some legal proceedings and the like.
- Wealth of the House: Renown 10. The patriarch of the House is in total control of the House's finances and various holdings, established by the laws of Waterdeep.