"Prakt, Strev, Rang, glang byrd. (Bravery, Effort, and Honor over birth.)
Stomm rang glang du. (The tribe's honor above your honor.)
Blod ettin er blod kong. (The blood of a runt is the blood of a king.)
Gi tusen val nul. (Give one thousand for nothing.)
Trut zund stommpaart. (Truth is the honor of the tribe)." - Firbolg Code
Without self-expression, life lacks spontaneity and joy. Without service to others, it lacks meaning and purpose. - Helryth Hey, founder of the Radical Fey
Gender: Cisgender Male
Weight: 380 lbs
Hair: Auburn hair and beard.
Aeolus has a large, solid muscular frame with light blue skin that is covered in a light covering of auburn hair. He has reddish brown shoulder length hair and a full beard of the same color. He seldom wears many clothes, often preferring to go shirtless, with only a leather harness and a cloak, and a fur loin cloth or breeches. He will often go barefoot, choosing no footwear at all. When in public, or around round groups of people, Aeolus will often use the Firbolg's inborn Disguise Self magical ability to appear in "drag" as either a tall elf, half-elf, or human. He appears to wear similar attire to what he would normally wear, although with footwear, but will have fun expressing himself in different ways as different races with different features.
- I am working on a grand philosophical theory and love sharing my ideas.
- I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.
- Greater Good: My gifts are meant to be shared with all, not used for my own benefit.
- Free Thinking: Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress.
- Nothing is more important than the other members of my tribe.
- Now that I’ve returned to the world, I enjoy its delights a little too much.
Sexuality: Romantically Aeolus is gay. He seeks relationships with and falls in love with other males. Sexually, He is hetero/homo-flexible. Seeking and experiencing pleasure is something that connects individuals to the Sacred and is an important. Sexuality is an important part of self-expression.
- Wisdom increases by 2, Strength increases by 1
- Powerful Build: Aeolus counst as one size larger when determining his carrying capacity and the weight he can push, drag, or lift.
- Hidden Step: As a bonus action, Aeolus can magically turn invisible until the start of his next turn or until he attacks, makes a damage roll, or forces someone to make a saving throw. Once he uses this trait, he can’t use it again until he finishes a short or long rest.
- Speech of Beast and Leaf: Aeolus has the ability to communicate in a limited manner with beasts and plants. They can understand the meaning of his words, though he has no special ability to understand them in return. He has advantage on all Charisma checks he makes to influence them.
- Firbolg Magic:
- Detect Magic
- Disguise Self: When he uses this version of disguise self, Aeolus can seem up to 3 feet shorter than normal, allowing him to more easily blend in with humans and elves.
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)
Weapons: Clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears
Skills: Nature, Perception
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
Tools: Herbalism kit
Prepared Spells: 15
Spell save DC: 17
Spell attack modifier: +9
Spellcasting focus: Kal'Hirol Pendant
Aeolus can use his action to magically assume the shape of various beasts. - He can use this feature twice and regains expended uses when he finishes a short or long rest. - He can stay in a beast shape for 5 hours. He then reverts to his normal form unless he expends another use of this feature. He can revert to his normal form earlier by using a bonus action on his turn. He automatically reverts if he falls unconscious, drops to 0 hit points, or dies.
Known Beast Shapes:
- Crag Cat
- Brown Bear
- Giant Octopus
- Reef Shark
- Constrictor Snake
- Giant Wolf Spider
- Dire Wolf
- To acquire new beast shapes Aeolus has two options.
- Observation: He learns the beast’s shape after observing its behavior for at least 1 hour and succeeding on an Intelligence (Nature) check with a DC equal to 10 + the beast’s challenge rating. For this observation period, his vantage point - whether physical or magical — must be within 150 feet of the beast. If he previously spent at least 1 hour reading a scholarly work about the creature, he has advantage on the check.
- Interaction. He learns the beast’s shape after interacting with it peacefully for 10 minutes and succeeding on a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check with a DC equal to 10 + the beast’s challenge rating. For this interaction period, he must be within 15 feet of the beast, and if he spends at least a minute petting it, he hasadvantage on the check.
- Either of these options may be assisted by magic.
Druid Circle: Circle of Dreams
Druids who are members of the Circle of Dreams hail from regions that have strong ties to the Feywild. The druids’ guardianship of the natural world makes for a natural alliance between them and good-aligned fey. These druids seek to fill the world with merriment and light. Their magic mends wounds and brings joy to downcast hearts, and the realms they protect are gleaming, fruitful places.
Balm of the Summer Court: Aeolus is imbued with the blessings of the Summer Court. He is a font of energy that offers respite from injuries. He has a pool of fey energy represented by 10d6s. As a bonus action, Aeolus can choose one creature he can see within 120 feet of him and spend 5 of those dice. Roll the spent dice and add them together. The target regains a number of hit points equal to the total. The target also gains 1 temporary hit point per die spent. He regains all expended dice when he finishes a long rest.
Hearth of Moonlight and Shadow: Home is wherever Aeolus is. During a short or long rest, he can invoke the shadowy power of the Gloaming Court to help guard his respite. At the start of the rest, he touches a point in space, and an invisible, 30-foot-radius sphere of magic appears, centered on that point. Total cover blocks the sphere. While within the sphere, he and his allies gain a +5 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) and Wisdom (Perception) checks, and any light from open flames in the sphere (a campfire, torches, or the like) isn’t visible outside it. The sphere vanishes at the end of the rest or when you leave the sphere.
Hidden Paths: Aeolus can use the hidden, magical pathways that some fey use to traverse space in the blink of an eye. As a bonus action on his turn, he can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space he can see. Alternatively, he can use his action to teleport one willing creature he touches up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space he can see. He can use this feature 5 times, and he regains all expended uses of it when he finishes a long rest.
As a Firbolg, Aeolus grew up in the wilds, far from civilization and the comforts of town and technology. The wilds are in his blood. Even in places where he doesn’t know the specific features of the terrain, he knows the ways of the wild. As a druid, he trained in seclusion with his mentor and others in his druid order.
Skills: Medicine, Religion
Tools: Alchemists Supplies
Wanderer: Aeolus has an excellent memory for maps and geography, and can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around him. In addition, he can find food and fresh water for himself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
Aeolus possesses keen insight into how other people think and feel.
- Increase Wisdom by 1
- Gain proficiency in the Insight skill. If already proficient in the skill, add double proficiency bonus to checks made with it.
- Aeolus can use his action to try to get uncanny insight about one humanoid he can see within 30 feet of him. Make a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by the target’s Charisma (Deception) check. If his check succeeds, he has advantage on attack rolls and ability checks against the target until the end of his next turn.
- Coins: 470gp
Coat of Protection: +1 bonus to AC and saving throws
Kal'Hirol Pendant: A pendant made of volcanic glass hangs from an elaborately carved bronze necklace. It is always cool to the touch, and can only be worn by those bearers it chooses. This necklace is one of five ancient artifacts that were created when the material plane was being formed. Each of these five house a powerful spirit, who teaches and guides those chosen. Detailed information of the origin of these artifacts and their powers has been lost to time. Once attuned, Kal'Hirol grants the wearer a set of base abilities. Over time, as the bond between the artifact and the wearer grows, and as they fulfill parts of their destiny, more potent tiers of power are unlocked. This process cannot be forced and will happen naturally on its own.
- Wearer can read, write, and speak Terran.
- Wearer may cast magic stone; this is not included in "maximum spells known".
- Earthen Armor: Wearer uses a bonus action to speak an activation word. Upon activation, the pendant portion of this necklace grows and expands to cover the body from the neck down in dark flexible body armor; excluding the ankles, wrists, hands, and feet. This armor has an AC of 16, and has resistance to slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning damage from non-magical attacks. Qualifies as light armor. It cannot be worn with other armor, however, it can worn with boots, helmets, masks and circlets.
- Commune with Terrestrial Life: 1/day wearer may spend 30 minutes to communicate with either plants, animals, stone, earth, or earth-based magical creatures (at DM's discretion) with an accompanying DC 18 nature check.
Service • (Business)
- Lifestyle Provided: Modest (0 gp per month)
- Employees Cost: 0 gp per month
- Skilled: 0 (60 gp per month each)
- Unskilled: 0 (6 gp per month each)
- Building Cost: None • gp per mo
- Goods Cost: gp per mo
Total Business Cost: gp per mo
- Business Quality: Comfortable
- Base Cost: +50%
- Running a Business Roll: -5%
- Profit: +50%
- Running a Business Rolls
Carried Equipment: Scimitar, 2 daggers, shield, leather harness, coat of protection, Kal'Hirol pendant
- Pouch: 2 vials of acid, 2 flasks of alchemist's fire, 2 antitoxins,
- Backback: bedroll, blanket, healer's kit, mess kit, rations x10, hempen rope, waterskin
- Broadleaf's: small home/shop (apothecary and herbalist business in front room, home also includes one small kitchen area, a sitting room, and a small bedroom), alchemist's supplies, common clothes, traveler's clothes, herbalism kit
- I store the gear I'm not actively carrying around (listed above) at my home/shop, Broadleaf's
- Modest: 1 gp/day
Projects, Goals and/or Downtime
- Goals go here
- Story goes here
- Grew up on a remote part of Maenos with the Broadleaf Firbolg tribe. At the beginning of adolescence, he left to begin training as a druid with a Firbolg mentor. Lived with the firbolg mentor for several years until (insert cool plot point).
- Heard a voice calling to him from a very young age. Firbolgs naturally have some ability to speak to plants and animals, but Aeolus also heard the earth itself speaking. This continued during his time with his Firbolg druid mentor and intensified until he was was called to leave Maenos and his mentor.
- During his travels he met Helryth Hey, Elf founder of the Radical Fey and assumed Hey's teachings of radical self-expression and experience of joy as his own. He became a Druid associated with the Radical Fey, and the Circle of Dreams.
- The earth called to you from childhood, and eventually made you leave in search of "the gift" this artifact. You found it in an ancient tomb called The Tomb of the Mother, on a far away continent. The spirit within (Kal'Hiol) was the voice you heard all along. And is both an artifact and a companion that can only communicate with you telepathically.
- It led you to "Raksha", the village the campaign starts in.
- You are there doing the herbalist thing until the next step in your destiny reveals itself.
-Met Steve early in his journeys. Aeolus and Steve had a sexual hookup, but Steve was in drag and Aeolus had used his Firbolg magic to disguise himself as an elf. In the midst of sexual passion there was a moment of intimacy and connectedness (need to define this moment - an action? a word? something that can be said or done years later and recognized). Years later, they both remember this hookup with fondness, but neither are aware who other is, because through the magic, disguise, drag, and alcohol, their true identities were obscured.
-Met Omaer Arbannon in a pub. He and came to the aid of a young man from the town we were in that was being harassed by 3 particularly obnoxious knights with the Order of the Gauntlet. Aeolus and Omaer got into a bar brawl with the knights - Ser Ivar, Ser Dougal, and Ser Becky - humiliating them and making enemies of them. The two decided to travel together after the fight, both for mutual protection and because they had become friendly with each other, and ended up travelling to Raksha together.