Background-Knight of the Starry Blade
Knight of the Starry Blade
Once, the knights of the Starry Blade wielded steel and star-spell in defense of mighty Astrapola, the City of Stars. They were slain by the hundreds when that city fell, but many of them escaped, helping the city's people or its astrologer leaders escape the destruction of the city.
Now, the knights are a brotherhood broken. Though they still train one another, they have formed more of a secret society than a knightly order, aiding astrologers and the folk from lost Astrapola, defending them where necessary. Knights of the Starry Blade often guard some precious relic or tome from the Wisdoms of Astrapola, sworn to keep it from enemy hands until such time as the Twelve Towers can be rebuilt, and Astrapola returned to its days of glory.
- Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Athletics
- Tool Proficiencies: Astrologer's tools.
- Languages: One of your choice.
- Equipment: A set of traveler's clothes, astrologer's tools secreted among other belongings, a journal, and a purse containing 15gp.
Feature: Child of the Stars
Folk remember the Starry Blade, and the valiant knights of Astrapola. When you need shelter, food, or to be smuggled out of (or into) town, you can go to a place in any settlement, giving the secret signs that those trained in astrology or who were once from Astrapola know so well, signalling to them your need and identity. If there are any who are there, they will lend that aid. The larger the settlement, the more likely you are to find someone. This search takes 1 hour in a village, 1d3 in a town, or 1d6 in a city.
- Astrologer's Tools: This kit consists of an ephemeris, measuring tools, charts and the means to measure and track the movement of the stars in the sky. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to the creation of horoscopes and natal charts.
- Natal Chart: A chart that displays the placement of an individual's star in the heavens at the moment of their birth. Creating a natal chart requires information on the place and time of the individual's birth. A natal chart is necessary in the casting of a horoscope. It takes an hour to create a natal chart, using astrologer's tools.
- Horoscope: A chart that displays the movement and position of the individual's star through the vaults of heaven at the time of its creation, anyone trained in Arcana who possesses a horoscope on someone gains advantage on Insight checks against that person for the duration of the horoscope's accuracy. Creation of a person's horoscope requires the possession of that person's natal chart. When a horoscope is cast, the astrologer's check using astrology tools determines how long the horoscope is good for: One week (DC 10), one month (DC 15), or one year (DC 20).