Gate of Gods Character Questionnaire
These questions must be answered as part of character creation.
- Describe your character’s physical appearance.
- Describe what it looks like when your character’s Nimbus manifests to those with Mage Sight. What does it look like when it bleeds over into mortal perceptions? (The Nimbus can be quite impressive to Mage Sight, but is always subtle to mortal perceptions.)
- Describe your character’s preferred Magical Tool, either a Path Tool or an Order Tool. If your character uses any Arcana Tools, describe those as well. Is there a background or back story to this item?
- When your character’s Unseen Senses trigger, what kind of sensation does your character experience? (This tends to be individual from mage to mage; some examples include a slight headache, a raising of the hairs on the back of the neck, goosebumps, a sudden change in temperature sensation, etc.)
- Describe how your character most often interacts with her Virtue.
- Describe how your character most often interacts with his Vice.
- Describe your character’s Mentor, from her perspective. This is the person (not necessarily of the same Path) who brought you into the Order, and taught you the Order’s magical Praxis.
- Choose the Mage Sight your character uses most often. Describe to me how your character interprets the occult information granted by that spell; for instance, some mages perceive various Mage Sights as strains of music, strange smells, memory flashbacks from their own lives relevant to the information gained, physical sensations or other similar sensory input. Each form of Mage Sight usually has its own set of sensory symbols, often in line with aspects of the character’s personality, occult praxis or background.
- Choose a song that you think might serve as your character's "theme song."
- Does your character have any family?
- Your character has, at some point in his life, had something to do with the Hotel Regina. It has been out of business since the 1940s, so you won’t have visited it while it was in business. Your character doesn’t even have to had any kind of major interaction at the location — you simply have to have a moment in your character’s history where the Hotel Regina played some role, even if it was just as a backdrop. Perhaps an uncle was a photographer that loved buildings from the Thirties, or your mother had a framed print of the building in the living room over the hearth. Tell me what the Hotel means to your character.
The following questions can be answered as part of further development for the character once play begins. No more than two questions may be answered in between game sessions, and for every two questions answered the PC gains +1 point of Development Experience.
- Where did your character grow up? Briefly describe his childhood and adolescence.
- What part(s) of the character's childhood most influenced the person he/she is today? Describe an important lesson your character learned as a child.
- When the character was a child, what did he/she want to be when grown up?
- What was your character's first, or most memorable, love affair? It can be anything from a pre-teen crush to a memorable love affair. Be sure to describe the object of your character's affection, along with the changes that your character went through in terms of feelings and thoughts about that person. Did it start out as maddening hatred? Instant love? Who fell for whom first? Was love a surprise? Assuming it has, how did it all end? How do all involved (your character, your lover, rivals, observers, etc.) feel about it now?
- Assume your character is seeking companionship, and has the opportunity to write a detailed personal ad for an internet dating service (and was willing to do so, without fear of security risks or anything like that). Write the ad. Where would be the character's idea of a good place to take a date?
- What is your character’s most precious pre-Awakening memory?
- What is your character’s most traumatic or grief-inducing pre-Awakening memory?
Personality & Habits
- Name five things your character likes to do that have absolutely nothing to do with being a mage.
- Is the character sentimental about anything? If so, what? If not, why not?
- What's your idea of getting "dressed up?"
- Does the character have any catch phrases, nervous tics, or personal habits that would identify him/her?
- Does your character believe in true love? Elaborate.
- Describe three public places that your character enjoys spending time at.
- Describe your personal bedroom space. What might someone poking about find, both in terms of actual things and in terms of what the space says about you?
- What moves your characters to anger or violence?
- What moves your character to tears?
- What makes your character very happy?
- What makes your character depressed or hopeless?
- What sorts of situations make the character feel awkward or ill-at-ease?
- What's the best way to persuade the character to do something?
- Choose five adjectives to describe the character.
- Give me some reasons why someone might reasonably dislike your character on first impression. Why might someone come to hate them in the long term?
- How would your character react if he or she was publicly humiliated by a total stranger? What if it was a private humiliation? What if it was a friend and not a stranger?
- If your character could have one object for himself or herself (and not to turn around and sell), regardless of price, what would it be?
- What kind of music does your character like? Does he or she like different kinds of music in different circumstances?
- What is the character's favorite food?
- What's your character's favorite color? Any particular reason?
- What is your character's routine when he or she is not tending to Awakened business/crises?
- Assuming they could speak, what would each of your character's parents (separately) say about him/her?
- Who are you important to? Why?
- Assume your character is plagued with a recurring nightmare that awakens him or her in a cold sweat every time. Describe the dream. (This will not necessarily be the case, though many people do have frightening, recurring dreams.)
- What aspect of him/herself is the character most uncomfortable with? What aspect of him/herself is the character most satisfied with?
- Is the character an introvert or an extrovert? How does the character behave in group settings? How does the character behave around someone in whom he/she is interested romantically?
Awakening & Beyond
- Describe your character’s Awakening.
- How has the Awakening changed your character, other than the obvious kewl powerz?
- Why did your character choose the Shadow Name s/he did?
- Name and describe three non-supernatural individuals that your character interacts with on a regular basis (such as a neighbor, best friend, co-worker, and the like). If you have any Contacts or Allies, these can be part of those Merits.