The family is very old, existing since the Dawn of Days when they were petty-kings. During the coming of the Andals and the creation of the Kingdom of the Reach, the Hightowers allied with the newcomers. Thus they were able the keep their wealth, lands and privileges.
House Hightower rarely takes part in wars within the realm. They were integral in the foundation of the Citadel and continue to be patrons of both the Citadel and the Faith.
During the Wars of Conquest, Lord Hightower had heeded the High Septon and not joined his liege lord King Mern IX on the march to the Field of Fire. Soon, Mern was dead and Highgarden surrendered. When Aegon the Conqueror arrived at Oldtown on dragonback, Lord Hightower opened his gates. Aegon spared the city, and the High Septon anointed him and acknowledged his right to rule all Seven Kingdoms.
House Hightower is as rich as House Lannister and can field three times as many swords as other Tyrell bannermen. More, if they took everyone possible out of Oldtown. The four-decked Honor of Oldtown is the flagship of the Hightower fleet.
The current head of the house, Lord Leyton, has not descended from the High Tower in over a decade. His fourth and current wife is Rhea Florent. Besides her family, the Hightowers are connected to several prominent Reach houses; Leyton's second daughter Alerie is wed to their liege, Mace Tyrell.
Members of the House
- Lord Leyton Hightower: Lord of the House. Also called the Old Man of Oldtown, Lord Leyton bears a number of titles: Voice of Oldtown, Lord of the Port, Lord of the High Tower, Defender of the Citadel and Beacon of the South. The Old Man has not descended from the Hightower in a decade. (65 years)
- Lady Rhea Hightower: Lady of the House. Lord Leyton's fourth wife, a daughter of House Florent. (45 years)
- Ser Baelor Hightower: Heir of the House. Called Baelor Brightsmile, the handsome heir of House Hightower is well-known, and was once considered a possible suitor for Elia Martell, until a cruel joke of Oberyn Martell's ruined that chance. (53 years)
- Rhonda Hightower: Ser Baelor's wife. Originally of House Rowan. (42 years)
- Malora Hightower: Lord's First Daughter. Called the "Mad Maid" for her queer ways and esoteric interests, Malora rarely leaves the Hightower. (51 years)
- Alerie Tyrell: Lady of House Tyrell, Lord's Second Daughter. Gracious, with long silver hair (50 years)
- Ser Garth Hightower: Lord's Second Son. Called "Greysteel", Ser Garth is a well-regarded warrior and trainer of military men. (44 years)
- Denyse Redwyne: Lord's Second Daughter. Married to Ser Desmond Redwyne. (40 years)
- Leyla Cupps: Lord's Third Daughter. Married to Ser Jon Cupps (37 years)
- Alysanne Ambrose: Lady of House Ambrose, Lord's Fourth Daughter. Married to Lord Arthur Ambrose. (36 years)
- Lynesse Mormont: Former Lady of House Mormont, now in Exile. Once married to Lord Jorah Mormont, now concubine to Tregar Ormollen in Lys. (35 years)
- Ser Gunthor Hightower: Lord's Third Son. Married to Jeyne Fossoway, Ser Gunthor studied at the Citadel for a number of years, and learned to speak the Summer Tongue there. (29 years)
- Jeyne Hightower: Ser Gunthor's Wife. Originally of House Fossoway (23 years)
- Ser Humfrey Hightower: Lord's Fourth Son. Unmarried, and part of the Hightower household guard. (26 years)
Retainers of the House